Monday, September 15, 2014

Taking my kids into public.

When it comes to taking my kids out into public, I turn into a scared, psycho mom. My two boys are never good in public when they are together. But, if it is only one of them they are perfect little angels.

Today, Travis didn't have school because a young police officer in our town was killed. His funeral was today and with roads being blocked off for the procession they decided to cancel school. Since school was cancelled for this reason I thought that it would be great for us to go stand on the side of the road with the rest of the people paying their respects. Boy was I wrong. They were maybe good for the first 15 minutes but then they went crazy. They were running around, jumping into puddles, hollering, screaming, jumping around, fighting, yeah being typical little boys. I wasn't really mad that they were acting like that, I was more frustrated that when I would ask them to stop, they would stop for 2 seconds and then continue like I never said anything to them.

I'm not sure why I let this get to me but I do. Sometimes I just lose it and then afterwards feel like complete shit. All the other moms around me were looking at me like I was the worst mother. Either because I wasn't yelling at them or because I was. I know I shouldn't care but I do. I don't want to look like a crazy person, or like the mom with the crazy, uncontrollable kids. They were bored and for the most part didn't understand what was going on and I get that. Now that I sit here and write this I feel like I probably went a little overboard a few times. But, they need to understand that they have to listen to their mother. Also they need to understand that what we were doing and where we were at, was not the time or place to be acting like crazy little terrorists. Right?

Anyway, towards the end of the procession they calmed down and we went to the store. Going to the store is always an adventure when my kids go along. Of course they were acting nuts and I tried playing along. Just being funny and not taking things to seriously. I get stared at and other adults give me weird faces like I should be doing better. Or like I must be a teen mom because I can't handle my kids. When I get in the check out line there is a mom in front of me with two boys and she looks about as frazzled as I am. We share a look, and say at the same time "I know how you feel". This one moment completely changed my day.

I forget that I'm not the only mom that goes through days like today. Despite the stares, and my complete mommy meltdown I know that I am a good mom. I might not be a perfect mom but who is. And yah I'm a young mom but I wouldn't change that for anything. My kids are crazy, they don't listen, they fight, they yell, they act like kids and I need to start being ok with that. I bet that if I just stayed calm and laughed with them instead of telling them to shush, our adventures out into public wouldn't be so difficult. And so what if those people stare because I'm the laid back fun mom who let's her kids laugh and be kids. They can just add me to their list of parents who don't know how to parent.

And to the mom's who are just like me. Who are frazzled and irritated and losing it, take a deep breath with me. As I sit here and wonder why I freaked out, I think about the mom who had to lay her 24 year old son to rest today. I can't even imagine putting myself into her shoes. So after our long day of nerve wracking madness I tucked my little monsters into bed and hugged them a little tighter.

We may only have our kids for a little while, so what if they act like kids. Let them and have fun with them before you can't anymore. And starting tomorrow I am going to take my own advice.

Stay quirky,
      Staci


2 comments:

  1. I completely understand how you feel. I have 4 kiddos and we live in Europe. I have to deal with my expectations for how I want my kids to act and how everyone else here thinks they should act. I will admit some days are better than others. At least I don't understand most of their comments, although most facial expressions don't require translation.
    It seems like you have a good idea of how to move forward. Enjoy your time with your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! Being a mom can be so stressful and so rewarding. I just don't why other people think it's ok to judge. Don't get me wrong, there are some really nice people out there who just smile at me. They are a rarity though.

    ReplyDelete